For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. Psalm 84:11
There is so much power in this verse. Let’s peel it a part like an onion to get the full flavor.
The Lord is a sun –
- He shines into the darkest corners.
- He warms us against the cold, harsh realities of this world.
- He give us energy to bloom and grow. Like plants, we turn towards Him for our nourishment.
- Just as we trust the sun will rise each morning, He is faithful and we can count on Him.
- He protects our heart from the stabs and onslaughts life can bring.
- He wards off the devil’s attacks.
- His light reflects off the shield and blinds the enemy.
- He is always there to come to our defense
The Lord bestows favor and honor –
- God will turn his favor to us who seek Him. In the Latin it means goodwill. God wants nothing but the best for His children who seek His ways.
- He honors us, even when nobody else does. What we do in secret, He knows. Even if the world hates us, God will honor our efforts to be His hands and feet.
No good thing does He withhold –
- He showers us with daily blessings.
- We are the recipients of His grace and His mercy.
- Even what seems bad, God can work into good for those who trust in Him.
From those who walk uprightly.
- With God as our provider of all good things,
- With God as our source of love and light,
- With God who protects us,
…no matter the circumstance, we can hold our heads high. We can gaze ahead positively and confidently because Our God is already there. We do not have to be dragged down, shoulders humped by the weight of the world. We don’t have to hang our heads in shame. We have a God who sacrificed Himself and took on our sins, so we could stand before Him as cleansed, holy and blameless. We have a God who loves us.
You can look on any playground and tell immediately which children feel loved and which have low esteem. The ones who are loved are confident, laughing, full of life and energy. The ones who do not feel they are loved hang off to the side, don’t attract others to them, or have scowls. They walk as if they are listless. Happiness doesn’t shine in their cheeks. They are often loners, or seek love and favor from unhealthy sources. They are vulnerable and easily persuaded.
Which child are you? The one who knows she is loved, or the one who is still seeking it? Are you confident and happy, or gloomy and unsure of what lies ahead? Are you sloughing along or skipping with your head held high?
Choose life. Choose love. Choose a God who will never desert you, wants only the best for you, will protect you, will help you through your day, and point you towards a positive and good result. Choose a God who understands you and cherishes you.
Choose Jesus as Lord. Then walk upright with surety.